Telephone : +61 03 9701 8893
Mobile : +61 4 14 873 868

886 - Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) Visas

This is a permanent residence visa.
As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely.
This visa allows overseas students who have completed their course studies in Australia and holders of certain temporary visas to apply for permanent residency.

This visa is for you if you are in Australia and you are one of the following:

  • an overseas student or former overseas student
  • a holder of a Skilled – Graduate (subclass 485) visa or Skilled – Recognised Graduate (subclass 476) visa
  • a holder of a Trade Skills Training (subclass 471) visa.
You must:
  • be under 45 years of age
  • have good English language skills
  • be sponsored
  • have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and your nominated occupation is classified as either:
    • a 60 point occupation
    • or
    • a 50 point occupation
This visa also requires that either:
  • You, your spouse or your interdependent partner have an eligible relative living in Australia who is willing and able to sponsor you or
  • You have a nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency. All State and Territory governments in Australia are participating in this visa scheme.
This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
Pass Mark: 120

Two (2) years study in Australia
You must have met this eligibility requirement in the six (6) months immediately before the date of making your application. To meet this requirement, you must have completed in no less than 16 calendar months, either:
  • a single qualification requiring at least two (2) academic years study or
  • more than one qualification resulting in a total period of at least two (2) academic years study.
A course that has a registered duration of 92 weeks is considered to be a two year course.

You must demonstrate that you meet the English language threshold. This means that you must already have your English language test results before you lodge your application.

In most cases, the English language threshold is at the competent English level and this will give you 15 points. You also meet the English language threshold and will receive 15 points if you meet one of the following:
  • you have vocational English and your nominated occupation is a trade occupation
  • you hold an eligible passport from either:
    • United Kingdom (UK)
    • Canada
    • New Zealand
    • United States of America (USA)
    • Republic of Ireland
If you wish to claim 25 points you will need to meet the required English language test results for proficient English.

Nominated Occupation
You will only be awarded points for your nominated occupation if the occupation you nominate is on the SOL current at the time you make your application.

Skills Assessment
At the time of making your application, you must have applied to have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation. This is an evaluation of your qualifications to make sure that you are sufficiently qualified for your nominated occupation.

The skills assessment must be performed by the approved assessing body for your nominated skilled occupation. Contact details for these assessing bodies can be found in the Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) website.

Go to our Australia Skilled Migration Visas Assessment Questionnaire


Copyright © AIMC Australian Visas - 2009 - All rights recerved -